Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Public Forums » Reviews » Mountain Bike Reviews

Post Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:12 pm 
Site Admin

Real Name (public): Brett
I demo'd this bike from a shop near Brockton, MA (Bikebarn Racing) as they were the only shop I could find nearby doing Tallboy demos. It was during my family Cape Cod vacation so it worked out. This was my third experience on a 29er (HiFi and Russ' Redline SS were the first 2).

The bike was built on a medium full carbon frame, bike weighed in at 26.2 lb w/o pedals at the shop, it also had tubed tires. This was their "SPX" build kit which was Deore XT based, Fox fork and shock, full specs are on the SC website. Bottom line, this was a $4700 retail bike. They happened to be selling it to clear room for the new 2012 demos...sale price was $3290.

So how'd it ride...pretty sweet. I was very happy with the frame stiffness, cornering, behavior in the rough stuff. Despite the raving reviews of its climbing ability, I didn't climb as well as on my 26", but I think this might have been due to my position on the bike. I moved the saddle forward later in the ride and didn't do any serious climbs after that, but things improved otherwise after getting myself more in the cockpit.

A general 29er-ism, but I was riding technical stuff I wouldn't have made on the 26", that was nice. It felt big at first, but after a while I forgot about it and just rode. All the rides I did were at Otis on the Cape, lots of rollercoaster singletrack, rocks, and some soft stuff.

Rides were really a blast on this bike, but I still have a blast on my 26 too, so I had to decide if this was worth buying. In the end I passed on it, because I first want to try the new Rocky Mountain Element 29 and a few hardtail 29ers. However, every magazine I've read picks this bike as the top or one of the top 29er picks...

Board index » Public Forums » Reviews » Mountain Bike Reviews