Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Public Forums » Shop Talk

Post Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:52 pm 

Real Name (public): Don
Seems like a pretty reasonable deal. More than 10 available.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271825413235

Last edited by mtb4life on Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:24 pm 

Real Name (public): MeZ
wow, just when you thought the prices can't get lower...

~o
-- |\,
7 |
(+)^(+)

Post Posted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:52 am 

Real Name (public): Jim W
I bought this light last year. Worked great all last fall and this spring. Battery life is accurate at 3hrs on low setting. Probably 2hrs on high...which equates to 2 complete rides at my level of fitness. I definitely received my $$ worth out of it. If it failed today, I would buy another.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:05 am 

Real Name (public): Pat
At this rate they will be giving lights away soon!

Post Posted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:31 pm 

I ordered one. Will report when it arrives. But that's even cheap for a flashlight!

Post Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:20 am 

I need a new light. Does this have a helmet mount? If not, what are people using?

Post Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:38 am 

Real Name (public): Russ S.
If that thing falls off the bike it's not even worth looking for.. :lol:
TP,

Post Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:07 pm 

Real Name (public): Don
Tried out the lights. They work great. Only concern is they seem a bit fragile, but for $18 you can use a new one every ride if necessary.

Ran them on medium settings and they were plenty bright. Need to get a full charge on the batteries and then run them on high to test true battery life.

They do come with a helmet / head strap. It fit over my helmet after I removed the visor. They also come with the rubber mounting straps and are designed to fit nicely onto handlebars.

Power cable length was such that I could mount light on handlebar run the cable along the top tube and then keep battery under my seat in a seat pouch. I have a large frame, but even XL would probably work this way.

I put the 2nd light on my helmet with 2nd battery in backpack. Pretty slick and for the $18 a bargain. For comparison I paid $100 for a 750 Lumen (Nightrider Lumina 750) light last year.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:10 pm 

I got one also and it looks good out of the box. Better than other Chinese lights that I have been using for 3 years. Time will tell..... by Christmas it could become an ornament on a random tree.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:18 am 

Real Name (public): Mike C duh
So I bought a set of the $18 lights last week. They were delivered quick and looked pretty good out of the box. Within 5 minutes of taking them out of the box my son asked if he could check them out. About 3.2 seconds later one of the lights stopped working! WTF. I messed around with the different setting ( holding the button down, recharging the battery, etc. etc.) nothing worked. I emailed the seller on Facebook and they said no problem, they will send me a new light and I can keep the old one! Sweet! Once I get the new light I'll take apart the old one to see if its just a loose connection. Even the one bulb is crazy bright and I'm sure would work ok on the helmet in addition to the other light on my bar. I'll post up a review once I get everything working...

Post Posted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:18 am 

Everyone keeps asking about these lights, I thought I'd bring it up to the top of the list.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:57 am 

Real Name (public): MeZ
" I'll post up a review once I get everything working..."

I guess Mike C never got them working. :lol:

~o
-- |\,
7 |
(+)^(+)

Post Posted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:44 pm 

I prefer the smaller lights, 3000 to 3500 lumen. That 5000 one is pretty bulky, not good in my helmet

Post Posted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:06 pm 

Real Name (public): Mike C duh
Forgot about this thread! the new light was sent out ASAP and works perfect. I have not done a ton of night riding, but so far they work perfect and are well worth the $$...

Post Posted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:43 am 

I was just riding along the other night and the light went completely off. When I got home I took the plastic wrap off of the battery and found that one of the wires was disconnected. It seems that the wires are just spot welded to the connector tabs. I soldered the wires back on and have had no further problems. I have a bunch of the cheap chinese batteries and the wire attachment is the weak link on all of them.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:53 am 

I was gifted one of these lights and then purchased another one. Last week I decided to take the one that came with a head strap with me on a woods run. Two minutes into the jog the light started to smell so I stopped to see if my head was on fire. Seriously. It was that bad. I tried to shut it off via the main switch and it wouldn't work. The only way to control any function on the light was to unplug it. I ended up holding the light in my hand instead and bailed after 20 more minutes before the dimming bulbs left me stranded in the woods.

When I returned home the smell coming from the unplugged light housing was so bad I had to remove it from my garage and leave it outside. Although there was no power to I was fearful the light was still going to catch fire. Mike LaPlante smelled it and was shocked at how bad it was days after my issue.

Once opened we found the main chip had compleatly melted internally. Shocking that any light was still coming from the light itself.

Keep an eye on these lights. As good as they are, when they go the meltdown is bad and might create a fire hazzard.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:17 am 

Yikes! That's not good. I guess the quality has gone downhill with all the competition out there. Unfortunately there is no way to tell the quality of these things until they go bad. As a precaution I have always charged them in my garage floor away from anything flammable. And now I remember I did buy a headstrap mounted light for work earlier this year, stopped working after a couple uses. Just threw it in the trash.

Board index » Public Forums » Shop Talk