Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Public Forums » Shop Talk

Post subject: dropper seatposts
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:01 am 

As XC riding gets more and more technical I have been seeing lots of dropper seat posts appearing on "trail" bikes. It looks like it may be a tradeoff between going over the bars and getting your ass eaten off by the back tire. Has anyone tried a dropper seatpost?

Post subject: Re: Sunday 3/25
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:51 am 
Site Admin

Real Name (public): Brett
billd wrote:
As XC riding gets more and more technical I have been seeing lots of dropper seat posts appearing on "trail" bikes. It looks like it may be a tradeoff between going over the bars and getting your ass eaten off by the back tire. Has anyone tried a dropper seatpost?

I don't get it...do people have trouble getting their ass over the back tire w/o lowering the seat? Seems like a pain to need to worry about adjusting the seat height before & after tech sections.

Post subject: Re: dropper seatposts
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:40 pm 

Real Name (public): Mike C duh
I've got Rockshox Reverbs on both of my bikes and really like them. For me the eye opener was while using a demo bike, dropping the post and hitting that last section on the Goat Hill tt loop. It was one of those " so THIS is what it's supposed to feel like" moments. By getting the seat/post out of the way you can really get low over the bike and lean it into corners. I will say that the dropper on the 29er made a bigger difference than on the 26- but they are both wicked fun on the downs. Are the heavy? kinda Do they make me faster? probably not. Do I have more fun on the downs? yup!

As far as being a pain in the ass adjusting, the Reverbs are hydraulic- hit the button while seated and the post drops to wherever you want and comes back up wherever as well.

Bill ( or any of you other BUMS) what size seat tube do you have? Let me know and I'd be more than happy to let you check one out.

Post subject: Re: dropper seatposts
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:08 pm 

Real Name (public): John B
I see a lot of them on bikes down in RI (mostly flat trails, go figure). Funny thing is a few riders i met were just trying them out for the first time. I think the technology has matured to the point where their easy to use and they make the downhills more enjoyable. That said, I have no interest in one but I'm a weight weenie.

Board index » Public Forums » Shop Talk