Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Public Forums » Shop Talk




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: magicshine batteries
 Post Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:36 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:12 pm
Posts: 649
So I finally decided to try my new battery that Geoman sent me for my magicshine, when it didnt work last night (luckily I had my mininewt too )I realized after I got home that the charger and the battery dont connect properly :?
anyone else having this problem with the replacement battery?


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: magicshine batteries
 Post Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:30 am
Posts: 1348
Location: The woods of Sutton
Real Name (public): John B
My old magicshine charger works just fine with the new battery I got in Nov. Looks like the run time isn't as good as advertised. Mine only runs for 2hrs at full power.

_________________
Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: magicshine batteries
 Post Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:00 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:37 pm
Posts: 652
Bruce Thomas had a similar problem , I think they sent him a new charger.


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: magicshine batteries
 Post Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:34 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:14 pm
Posts: 1685
Location: Good side of Millbury
Real Name (public): Russ S.
Mine worked OK too.
TP,

_________________
I am not Happy until you are not Happy.


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: magicshine batteries
 Post Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:06 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:29 pm
Posts: 594
My replacement battery works with the original charger but when I use it with the original light head the led turns to red in about 1.5 hours. It hasn't stranded me yet but I wouldn't trust if I was running only one light.


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: magicshine batteries
 Post Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:15 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:30 am
Posts: 1348
Location: The woods of Sutton
Real Name (public): John B
Mine does the same thing Bill, turns red long before it runs out of juice. As an FYI, Dinotte batteries work with Magicshines and the 4 cell has better run times.

_________________
Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: magicshine batteries
 Post Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:21 am 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:42 am
Posts: 2847
Location: Geographic Center of MA
Real Name (public): Brett
Chris, my new battery came a couple weeks ago. It mates with the charger OK but I haven't run it with a light yet. I did try plugging it in to my Gemini Xera lighthead b/c they're compatible and the gauge on that light does all funky things as expected, but it lit up.

I'd contacted Geoman about the gauge variation, his response:
Quote:
It's a difficult situation as Magicshine is running several different battery packs and their lightheads are tuned differently, most customers wouldn't even realise but even the Magicshine battery packs differ between the MJ-868 and MJ-808E. This will cause even variations in their own battery fuel guage if the battery packs are awitched between them. We are working with Magicshine to have any lightheads we recieve tuned specifically for our battery packs to resolve that issue, this is a work in progress and we are not sure it will work the way we want it to.

The later the model of the lighthead the more obvious the battery fuel guage variation is, there is a small variation in the MJ-808 and a much larger variation in the MJ-872.


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: magicshine batteries
 Post Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:39 am 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:42 am
Posts: 2847
Location: Geographic Center of MA
Real Name (public): Brett
Let me answer a question with a question, b/c I'm not sure if my setup is actually working right. When I plug the replacement battery into the light head (MJ-808) the gauge shows red. When I plug the same battery to the charger, the charger LED (which shows green with nothing plugged in) flicks to red for an instant and then back to green.

So I don't know if the thing is actually charging, but I can tell it's communicating with the battery and seems to think it's full. But the light head clearly says it's not. Because the charger LED doesn't show red, I doubt it's charging and is probably just doing a trickle charge like it does for a fully charged battery.

No idea if this is normal. What do others see?


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: magicshine batteries
 Post Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:52 pm
Posts: 844
my battery works fine,

I did see someplace that the new batteries turn red on the head quicker but the battery should last the same amount of time. hasn't stranded me yet, I don't think the battery has ever gone dead on any ride, can't say the same for night rider.


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: magicshine batteries
 Post Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:14 pm
Posts: 1685
Location: Good side of Millbury
Real Name (public): Russ S.
mike l wrote:
my battery works fine,

I did see someplace that the new batteries turn red on the head quicker but the battery should last the same amount of time. hasn't stranded me yet, I don't think the battery has ever gone dead on any ride, can't say the same for night rider.

The night rider or the bike rider?

_________________
I am not Happy until you are not Happy.


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: magicshine batteries
 Post Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:41 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:40 pm
Posts: 21
Real Name (public): Nate Hawkins
Brett,
I had the same problem with the charger showing green after a red flicker. This was on a known discharged battery too. Here is something to try: Plug in your charger and give it about 20 minutes to warm up before you attach your battery to it. It works for me most of the time. If that doesn't fix the problem: try unplugging and replugging the battery to the charger multiple times until the light stays red on the charger.
Good luck


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: magicshine batteries
 Post Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 7:31 pm
Posts: 368
Location: Thompson, CT
Real Name (public): Rob Paton
Mine is red when I plug it in at night and green when I wake up. I don't know what happens in between (other than the house doesn't burn down). My lighthead indicator turns pretty quickly, but like others, have never run out of juice.

_________________
"Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring."

- Desmond Tutu


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: magicshine batteries
 Post Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:44 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:12 pm
Posts: 649
icycle wrote:
Let me answer a question with a question, b/c I'm not sure if my setup is actually working right. When I plug the replacement battery into the light head (MJ-808) the gauge shows red. When I plug the same battery to the charger, the charger LED (which shows green with nothing plugged in) flicks to red for an instant and then back to green.

So I don't know if the thing is actually charging, but I can tell it's communicating with the battery and seems to think it's full. But the light head clearly says it's not. Because the charger LED doesn't show red, I doubt it's charging and is probably just doing a trickle charge like it does for a fully charged battery.

No idea if this is normal. What do others see?


thats exactly what mine is doing, I'll try the warm up trick with the charger if that doesnt work will email geoman and see if they will send me another charger
Thanks for the input


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: magicshine batteries
 Post Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:28 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:42 am
Posts: 2847
Location: Geographic Center of MA
Real Name (public): Brett
trailklutz wrote:
thats exactly what mine is doing, I'll try the warm up trick with the charger if that doesnt work will email geoman and see if they will send me another charger


I contacted Geoman earlier today after reading Nate's response and we'll see what he comes back with. Will let ya know.

I'm currently discharging my battery to see if it makes a difference.


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: magicshine batteries
 Post Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:33 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:12 pm
Posts: 649
Ok so that seems to be working, also have to be super careful plugging the 2 together cant plug all the way in ....just so far until the red light comes on :?
Let me know what Geoman says, I doubt this will be very dependable


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: magicshine batteries
 Post Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:40 am
Posts: 2531
Location: Just a tad over the double yellow line officer
Real Name (public): WTF
trailklutz wrote:
Ok so that seems to be working, also have to be super careful plugging the 2 together cant plug all the way in ....just so far until the red light comes on :?
Let me know what Geoman says, I doubt this will be very dependable


So when I see a glow looking north from my house , thats either you , Brett OR both of you exploding ? My "Nightrider" still works !

_________________
This is my bike , there are many like it but this one is mine !


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: magicshine batteries
 Post Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:38 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:12 pm
Posts: 649
jackassmtnbkr wrote:
trailklutz wrote:
Ok so that seems to be working, also have to be super careful plugging the 2 together cant plug all the way in ....just so far until the red light comes on :?
Let me know what Geoman says, I doubt this will be very dependable


So when I see a glow looking north from my house , thats either you , Brett OR both of you exploding ? My "Nightrider" still works !


:shock:
the thought crossed my mind, dont think I will leave it plugged in over noc just yet


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: magicshine batteries
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:43 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:44 pm
Posts: 1781
Real Name (public): Pat
I'm living on the edge, kept my old batteries, just keep them unplugged from the
charger/light she not in use. still using a nightrider too and
the old light+motion HID but the battery only lasts an hour .

_________________
Taking the "s" out of fast


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: magicshine batteries
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:03 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:42 am
Posts: 2847
Location: Geographic Center of MA
Real Name (public): Brett
icycle wrote:
trailklutz wrote:
thats exactly what mine is doing, I'll try the warm up trick with the charger if that doesnt work will email geoman and see if they will send me another charger


I contacted Geoman earlier today after reading Nate's response and we'll see what he comes back with. Will let ya know.

I'm currently discharging my battery to see if it makes a difference.


Reply from Geoman:
GeoMan wrote:
The charger you have must be incompatible, a small number of the older chargers are incompatible. We will ship you a new charger immediately, where would you like it sent?

When you receive the new charger it should follow the process below.

When you plug the charger into the wall, it should have a green led indicator on the charger. When you connect a depleted battery to the charger the indicator on the charger should change to red and stay red for up to 4 hours then change back to green when charging is complete.

Thanks

GeoMan


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: magicshine batteries
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:25 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:12 pm
Posts: 649
icycle wrote:
icycle wrote:
trailklutz wrote:
thats exactly what mine is doing, I'll try the warm up trick with the charger if that doesnt work will email geoman and see if they will send me another charger


I contacted Geoman earlier today after reading Nate's response and we'll see what he comes back with. Will let ya know.

I'm currently discharging my battery to see if it makes a difference.


Reply from Geoman:
GeoMan wrote:
The charger you have must be incompatible, a small number of the older chargers are incompatible. We will ship you a new charger immediately, where would you like it sent?

When you receive the new charger it should follow the process below.

When you plug the charger into the wall, it should have a green led indicator on the charger. When you connect a depleted battery to the charger the indicator on the charger should change to red and stay red for up to 4 hours then change back to green when charging is complete.

Thanks

GeoMan



Thanks Brett I will contact them as well, I have it working somewhat, but I doubt its going to be dependable


Top 
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Board index » Public Forums » Shop Talk


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

 
 

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron