Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Public Forums » Shop Talk

Post subject: magicshine batteries
 Post Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:36 pm 

So I finally decided to try my new battery that Geoman sent me for my magicshine, when it didnt work last night (luckily I had my mininewt too )I realized after I got home that the charger and the battery dont connect properly :?
anyone else having this problem with the replacement battery?

Post subject: Re: magicshine batteries
 Post Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:22 pm 

Real Name (public): John B
My old magicshine charger works just fine with the new battery I got in Nov. Looks like the run time isn't as good as advertised. Mine only runs for 2hrs at full power.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:00 am 

Bruce Thomas had a similar problem , I think they sent him a new charger.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:34 am 

Real Name (public): Russ S.
Mine worked OK too.
TP,

Post Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:06 am 

My replacement battery works with the original charger but when I use it with the original light head the led turns to red in about 1.5 hours. It hasn't stranded me yet but I wouldn't trust if I was running only one light.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:15 am 

Real Name (public): John B
Mine does the same thing Bill, turns red long before it runs out of juice. As an FYI, Dinotte batteries work with Magicshines and the 4 cell has better run times.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:21 am 
Site Admin

Real Name (public): Brett
Chris, my new battery came a couple weeks ago. It mates with the charger OK but I haven't run it with a light yet. I did try plugging it in to my Gemini Xera lighthead b/c they're compatible and the gauge on that light does all funky things as expected, but it lit up.

I'd contacted Geoman about the gauge variation, his response:
Quote:
It's a difficult situation as Magicshine is running several different battery packs and their lightheads are tuned differently, most customers wouldn't even realise but even the Magicshine battery packs differ between the MJ-868 and MJ-808E. This will cause even variations in their own battery fuel guage if the battery packs are awitched between them. We are working with Magicshine to have any lightheads we recieve tuned specifically for our battery packs to resolve that issue, this is a work in progress and we are not sure it will work the way we want it to.

The later the model of the lighthead the more obvious the battery fuel guage variation is, there is a small variation in the MJ-808 and a much larger variation in the MJ-872.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:39 am 
Site Admin

Let me answer a question with a question, b/c I'm not sure if my setup is actually working right. When I plug the replacement battery into the light head (MJ-808) the gauge shows red. When I plug the same battery to the charger, the charger LED (which shows green with nothing plugged in) flicks to red for an instant and then back to green.

So I don't know if the thing is actually charging, but I can tell it's communicating with the battery and seems to think it's full. But the light head clearly says it's not. Because the charger LED doesn't show red, I doubt it's charging and is probably just doing a trickle charge like it does for a fully charged battery.

No idea if this is normal. What do others see?

Post Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:14 pm 

my battery works fine,

I did see someplace that the new batteries turn red on the head quicker but the battery should last the same amount of time. hasn't stranded me yet, I don't think the battery has ever gone dead on any ride, can't say the same for night rider.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:26 pm 

Real Name (public): Russ S.
mike l wrote:
my battery works fine,

I did see someplace that the new batteries turn red on the head quicker but the battery should last the same amount of time. hasn't stranded me yet, I don't think the battery has ever gone dead on any ride, can't say the same for night rider.

The night rider or the bike rider?

Post Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:41 pm 

Real Name (public): Nate Hawkins
Brett,
I had the same problem with the charger showing green after a red flicker. This was on a known discharged battery too. Here is something to try: Plug in your charger and give it about 20 minutes to warm up before you attach your battery to it. It works for me most of the time. If that doesn't fix the problem: try unplugging and replugging the battery to the charger multiple times until the light stays red on the charger.
Good luck

Post Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:15 pm 

Real Name (public): Rob Paton
Mine is red when I plug it in at night and green when I wake up. I don't know what happens in between (other than the house doesn't burn down). My lighthead indicator turns pretty quickly, but like others, have never run out of juice.

- Desmond Tutu

Post Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:44 pm 

icycle wrote:
Let me answer a question with a question, b/c I'm not sure if my setup is actually working right. When I plug the replacement battery into the light head (MJ-808) the gauge shows red. When I plug the same battery to the charger, the charger LED (which shows green with nothing plugged in) flicks to red for an instant and then back to green.

So I don't know if the thing is actually charging, but I can tell it's communicating with the battery and seems to think it's full. But the light head clearly says it's not. Because the charger LED doesn't show red, I doubt it's charging and is probably just doing a trickle charge like it does for a fully charged battery.

No idea if this is normal. What do others see?

thats exactly what mine is doing, I'll try the warm up trick with the charger if that doesnt work will email geoman and see if they will send me another charger
Thanks for the input

Post Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:28 pm 
Site Admin

trailklutz wrote:
thats exactly what mine is doing, I'll try the warm up trick with the charger if that doesnt work will email geoman and see if they will send me another charger

I contacted Geoman earlier today after reading Nate's response and we'll see what he comes back with. Will let ya know.

I'm currently discharging my battery to see if it makes a difference.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:33 pm 

Ok so that seems to be working, also have to be super careful plugging the 2 together cant plug all the way in ....just so far until the red light comes on :?
Let me know what Geoman says, I doubt this will be very dependable

Post Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:35 pm 

Real Name (public): WTF
trailklutz wrote:
Ok so that seems to be working, also have to be super careful plugging the 2 together cant plug all the way in ....just so far until the red light comes on :?

So when I see a glow looking north from my house , thats either you , Brett OR both of you exploding ? My "Nightrider" still works !

Post Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:38 pm 

jackassmtnbkr wrote:
trailklutz wrote:

So when I see a glow looking north from my house , thats either you , Brett OR both of you exploding ? My "Nightrider" still works !

:shock:
the thought crossed my mind, dont think I will leave it plugged in over noc just yet

Post Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:43 am 

Real Name (public): Pat
I'm living on the edge, kept my old batteries, just keep them unplugged from the
charger/light she not in use. still using a nightrider too and
the old light+motion HID but the battery only lasts an hour .

Post Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:03 pm 
Site Admin

icycle wrote:
trailklutz wrote:

I contacted Geoman earlier today after reading Nate's response and we'll see what he comes back with. Will let ya know.

Reply from Geoman:
GeoMan wrote:
The charger you have must be incompatible, a small number of the older chargers are incompatible. We will ship you a new charger immediately, where would you like it sent?

When you receive the new charger it should follow the process below.

When you plug the charger into the wall, it should have a green led indicator on the charger. When you connect a depleted battery to the charger the indicator on the charger should change to red and stay red for up to 4 hours then change back to green when charging is complete.

Thanks

GeoMan

Post Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:25 pm 

icycle wrote:
icycle wrote:
trailklutz wrote:

Reply from Geoman:
GeoMan wrote:
The charger you have must be incompatible, a small number of the older chargers are incompatible. We will ship you a new charger immediately, where would you like it sent?

When you receive the new charger it should follow the process below.

When you plug the charger into the wall, it should have a green led indicator on the charger. When you connect a depleted battery to the charger the indicator on the charger should change to red and stay red for up to 4 hours then change back to green when charging is complete.

Thanks

GeoMan

Thanks Brett I will contact them as well, I have it working somewhat, but I doubt its going to be dependable

Board index » Public Forums » Shop Talk