Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Public Forums » Shop Talk

Post subject: Good to know
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:04 pm 

Real Name (public): MeZ
So the bike went through a bit of a rough stretch this fall and required a few repairs. The good news was that I found two good shops to bring the bike back to life. The first is Push Industries in Colorado. They rebuild forks and shocks, not just to factory spec's but will tune them to your liking also. I had mailed my shock to them on a Wednesday, they called me Monday morning to go over the repairs and by the end of the week I had the shock back and working great. Nice!
The other find is Hot Tubes right in Shirley Mass. Toby builds bikes (which appear to be highly regarded) and was up to the challenge of saving by busted (carbon) chainstay. Don't send them to Trek! A fine paint job on top of that saved the Hi Fi from the scrap pile. Very nice!
Hopefully no one runs into such problems but I wouldn't hesitate to use these two shops again.

~o
-- |\,
7 |
(+)^(+)

Post subject: Re: Good to know
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:44 pm 

Dont recomend Spyder Composites in CA....They still have Paul's road bike since July :shock: just 2 more weeks....will ship this weekend....uhmm waiting for silver paint :?
I think his wife got a new bike for Christmas :evil:
and to think Toby could have fixed it for not much more than the shipping but he wouldn't touch it after Trek cut the frame "to check the specs" :roll:
TREK SUCKS!!!

Post Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:54 pm 
Site Admin

Real Name (public): Brett
I'm going to ask Push about what they'd do for the gouges in my Fox stanchion. I still don't understand why fork makers moved away from fork boots. Looks? Weight? Money? I bet all three.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:39 pm 

Real Name (public): Pat
i remember having fork boots on an old Judy... a fork not a woman!....they did a better job of keeping mud and water inside versus out. But I do have a small chip on one stanchion of the reba, been there for months but no problems yet.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:10 am 

Real Name (public): Russ S.
icycle wrote:
I'm going to ask Push about what they'd do for the gouges in my Fox stanchion. I still don't understand why fork makers moved away from fork boots. Looks? Weight? Money? I bet all three.

Fill them with nail polish (whatever color you use on your toes), then smooth them out with emery cloth.

TP,

Post Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:30 am 
Site Admin

Trail Pirate wrote:
Fill them with nail polish (whatever color you use on your toes), then smooth them out with emery cloth.

Thanks, I actually did that (I think you told me this before). But when I sanded it down it was gummy inside so I just took it off. Maybe I didn't let it dry enough...I think I waited an hour or so. I used clear. Maybe I'll pick Kashima next time.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:06 am 

Real Name (public): Mike C duh
Push is having a winter "sale"- free return shipping for the month of Dec. and 10% off if you have them tune a front AND rear shock. I've had 2 shocks and 1 fork tuned by PUSH and they really make a noticable difference. I rode my 2001 PUSHED Fox Talas until the internals broke and it felt better than newer non-PUSHED forks I had at the time. I've been kinda planning on having the Ibis front and rear done this winter (along with new brakes, drivetrain etc etc etc). I think the wet spring and summer riding did a number on all of my gear :-(

Post Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:09 pm 
Site Admin

icycle wrote:

Quote:
Thanks for the email. I really can't access the damage without seeing the fork. Being an 2008 model, it's definitely time for a full service Rebuild on the fork. Regarding the rock impact, it may or may not be an issue. Chances are, if you've smoothed it out it's probably fine, but I'm more concerned with bushing wear on the stanchions. You should see vertical dark lines going up the stanchions, most likely behind the bridge on the left side. If we have to replace the stanchions, the entire upper assembly must be replaced, and they run $230 + the Rebuild service.

We do include an upgraded seal system with all fork rebuilds, so your left seal is not an issue.
Thanks again, and please let me know if you have any more questions!

Nick Bohlig
PUSH Industries
1520 Taurus Court
Loveland, CO 80537
ph. (970) 278-1110 ext.301
www.pushindustries.com

Board index » Public Forums » Shop Talk