Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Public Forums » Shop Talk

Post subject: Ust tires going tubeless
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:23 pm 

Real Name (public): Jonathan
Heyy all, i recently purchased 2 UST tires accidently. I ment to buy two tubeless ready tires not two tubeless tires. Anyway i was wondering would i still be able to put the UST tire on my non UST rim and put in stans? Would it be less affective? Should i return the tires and get regular tubeless ready tires? Anybody have experience with this? Thanks
Jon

Post Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:07 pm 

Real Name (public): Brandon
UST and tubeless ready tires are the same thing. You bought the right ones. Be sure to put down a couple layers of rim tape before you put down the rubber Stans rim strip (some rims will hold with the stock rim tape but better to er on the side of overkill and put down tape before the rubber rim strip). You should be able to google your rims and stans tubeless conversion and get website results of other mt bikers that have done the conversion already. The research and planning will save you time. BTW what type of tires did you get?

Post Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:15 am 

Real Name (public): Steve S
I'm sure Johnny can give us the full history, but I'm pretty sure they are not the same thing. UST is a standard developed by Mavic. That standard has particularly tight tollerences and when combined with a UST rim you should be able to run it tubeless even without sealent. A tubless ready tire could be a UST tire that the manufacturer didn't want to pay Mavic for the privilidge of calling it UST. It could also be a tire that doesn't conform to the UST standard but is made in a way that lends itself to a tubless set-up. The biggest difference I've seen between the TLR tires and have and the non TLR tires is uniformity of the bead which makes them seat better.

I would guess you shouldn't have any issues runing the UST tires on a non-tubless rim with a rim strip. I can't imagine it working any worse than other tires. I would try it with just the rim strip before you add extra tape under it. I understand UST tires can fit pretty snug. I have read somewhere that UST tires don't play particularly well with Stan's rims.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:15 am 

sounds good thanks for the help! and brandon i got the Schwalbe Black Jack tire

Post Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:38 pm 
Site Admin

Real Name (public): Brett
FWIW, I read the UST (and I suppose all tubeless specific) tires are designed with casings that should be impermeable to air when used w/o sealant. Sealant is a good idea either way, but I think it's a requirement for standard tires due to the leaky casings in some tires.

Not an expert, but looking into going in this direction myself (late adopter...).

Post Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:03 pm 

Real Name (public): John B
One big advantage of tubeless ready vs. UST is TLR tires are generally lighter. They usually cost less too. I'm a big fan of Stans rims and using a TLR tire with his rim is a very dependable setup. Once you figure out the sytem, its a pretty easy process to setup and maintain. One of the things I like most is the low air pressures you can run which really improves performance. A TLR tire with sealant is a much better system than a UST tire w/o IMO.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:19 pm 

So did you mount them yet?

Schwalbes are the bomb. I Am a huge fan of their snakeskin (ss) sidewall too...particularly with all the rocks around here. The racing ralphs are low profile and can wear quick. Nobby nics are good all around with more tread but more rolling resistance. They mount up perfectly even on tight stans rims in my experience.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:08 pm 

unfortunatly i havent finished mounting them yet. I did want the racing ralphs but i got these off Chainlove so i saved some $. Do all the schwalbe tires come with the snake skin side walls? And these tires are VERY tight to dismount but easy to mount.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:25 pm 

The snakeskin is an option. You can either get regular or ss. I just know of the Nobby nic and rralph having them.

Let me know if you need help mounting them

Ps- That link sent me to the clymb website which asked for information to sign up

Post Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:36 am 

Some wheels will be fine with just the rim strips. I recently did my Redline 29er Alex wheels and they wouldn't hold with just the rim strips so I Put down some Stans 25mm tape first and then the rim strip (they have other widths too). A couple ounces of stans and they *should be* good to go (haven't ridden them yet). http://www.bikeman.com/RS5531.html

Post Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:44 pm 

Real Name (public): Mike C duh
FWIW- Any tire and any rim can be converted using Stans rim strips and sealant. As john said a non UST tire will be lighter- but more prone to leaks. I've converted non UST tire and non UST rims and had fantastic luck BUT when they don't seal it can be a fiasco. When in doubt call Stans direct. They are really easy to get ahold of and pretty much know what works and what doesn't- good luck!

Post Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:48 pm 

ya im pretty sure mine arent SS but for theclymb.com u need to sign up but its legit i have bought objects off there before. And i will try to put them on soon because i have been away but i will let you know if i need any help thanks!

Board index » Public Forums » Shop Talk