Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Public Forums » Reviews » Race Reviews

Post subject: Rt 66 Winsted Woods
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:22 am 

Real Name (public): John B
Max and I headed down to Farmington CT for the Rt66 race yesterday. When we arrived we were greeted with paved parking lots, all kinds of sporting fields and structures, a lake and lots and lots of riders. Sign up was easy and well organized. We then grabbed our gear/bikes and headed out to watch the Cat 2 riders start off then hit the course ourselves.

I finished putting together my old trusty GF Rig the night before and found that the standover was adequate for Max and that the seat could be adjusted to fit his 4'6" frame. He was super pumped to try out the Rig on the course so off we went 29ering the course together. What quickly became apparent was the course was fast, as in super duper 14mph avg fast! With a combination of 70% open ski trails and 30% single track, it was a total power course. Max and I had a great time riding and watching the racers and Max was doing a great job getting the Rig down the trail. He kept on commenting on how much better the bike pedaled and how good the fork worked. Guess its time to kiss the Rig goodbye! Anyone looking for a slightly used GF 26 hardtail?

We finished up and headed to the start. There were 20 guys in the +50 Cat 1 class, wow! I said hi the Dave Fagnant who was the only guy i recognized and i barely know him. Everyone was jockeying for a good starting slot and i managed to squeeze in on the end of the front row. Max kept giving me holeshot tips and i said to him that his support was going to give me the edge I needed. Off with the gun I hammered out the start and jumped right in behind the leader. I put a quick move on him and led out going into the 1st singletrack. The course is 5 miles and the cat 1 class ran 4 laps. For the entire 1st lap, the eventual winner (on a super trick Superfly 100) and I went back and forth. We tore up the first lap and caught and passed a bunch of riders from earlier starts. I knew the pace was too fast to run for 4 laps but it was soo much fun battling with this guy I didn't care. He was a very good technical rider and made quick work of every climb. Every time I passed and try to put some gap on him, he would reel me right back in on the numerous doubletrack sections. We crossed the finish line on the 1st lap side by side with Max cheering me on, it was a very cool moment. About half way thru the 2nd lap, another rider from our class caught us. Now it was a 3 man freight train! At about the 45 min mark, I started feeling the effects of the hard pace and decided it was time to back it down in order to survive the entire race.

It was hard to watch the other two ride away but I knew there was no way I could hold their pace for an entire race. After they gapped me, I spent the rest of the race picking off more cat 1 riders which felt pretty good and kept me motivated. Halfway thru the last lap, a couple pro's caught me and went by like they were on dirtbikes! WTF, these guys were flying on their 5th lap! They caught, passed and disappeared in a flash. Very humbling......

I managed 3rd overall but 3-4 min out of 1st place. Got some work to do if I want to run at the front on a super power course but hey, its my 1st race and I'm happy with my result. I actually had a blast riding the course and the overall vibe was great. Max spent the rest of the day riding the Rig up and down the various obstacles and learning how to hop the Rig which he got pretty good at. Won $30 which we proceeded to blow at a local BBQ joint on ribs and beer. Can't beat that for a great day on a MTB!!!!

Post subject: Re: Rt 66 Winsted Woods
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:00 pm 

Real Name (public): Jess
Sounds like a great day, congrats.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:06 am 

Real Name (public): Steve S
Nice write-up. Sounds like it was worth the trip

Post Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:11 am 

Well done John!! As a general rule most of the club riders really kick butt on tech/ twisty stuff so just keeping the fast guys close on what sounds like a bit of roadie course is a win in itself. Throw a few rock gardens in there and you would have dropped them for sure. :) Glad Max had a good time too.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:32 am 

Real Name (public): Rob Paton
Awesome job John. You're an animal. And Max must be stoked to be on that Rig. He'll be blowing by the rest of us on TTs any day now. Congrats!

- Desmond Tutu

Post Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:21 am 

Real Name (public): John B
Some technical rock gardens and more twisty stuff would have been nice but there is something to be said for a rock free racecourse. I did 20 miles in 1:43 and I wasn't beat up at all (on a hardtail), my legs and lungs were cooked but that's it. Imagine 20 miles around here at that pace? You would need an ambulance waiting for you after the ride!

Board index » Public Forums » Reviews » Race Reviews