Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Public Forums » Reviews » Race Reviews

Post Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:01 pm 
Site Admin

Real Name (public): Brett
Going to collect all the race reports I find here, feel free to post others and your own too.

http://forums.mtbr.com/singlespeed/seco ... 09754.html

http://racing.nemba.org/?p=2676

http://finnmaguire.blogspot.com/2012/08 ... -2012.html

http://bigbikesmedia.cyclingdirt.org/co ... -Your-Face

http://artroti.wordpress.com/2012/08/26 ... some-down/

Post Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:38 pm 

Real Name (public): Matt
I like this one:

http://finnmaguire.blogspot.com/2012/08 ... -2012.html
"I don't think I'll do this race again. I enjoy riding technical terrain, but racing it is another story. And since there's so little similar technical terrain here on Cape, it's near impossible to train for it. Lesson learned = more yoga, less Treasure Valley Rally."

haha

Post Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:36 pm 
Site Admin

http://singlespeedslog.wordpress.com/20 ... ally-2012/

Post Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:58 am 

Real Name (public): Steve S
The Cyclingdirt highlight vid

http://bigbikesmedia.cyclingdirt.org/co ... Highlights

Post Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:48 pm 
Site Admin

Finn Maguire reconsiders TVR:
http://finnmaguire.blogspot.com/2012/08 ... overs.html

Post Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:54 am 

Real Name (public): Russ S.
Lesson Learned: More yoga, less Treasure Valley....... :lol:

Post Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:59 pm 
Site Admin

http://minutemanroadclub.com/forum/view ... =26&t=5696

http://leicester.dailyvoice.com/sports/ ... lley-rally

http://www.efta.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1345

Post Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:05 pm 

Real Name (public): John B
Here is my race report:

I line up tight on the inside (with Beck and Max right next to me) which helps me sprint to 4th off the start. Around the 2nd turn I almost get taken out by some douche-bag who was devoid of any trail etiquette, it takes a major swerve into the brush to avoid hitting him. I decide its "Game on" and say goodbye to him a few turns later. The pack settles down as we start the climb to the pebble. The 2 leaders are working together and they pull a small gap on me by the top. Once we start downhill I reel them in as we hit the super rocky section. On the climb back up to the pebble I move past 2nd place while the leader gaps me again.

After the pebble, I start trying to reel the leader in and catch him about a 1/2 mile later. Once I get on his back wheel, I start looking for an opening. A few minutes later, he bobbles in a rocky section and I sprint by. Now I put the hammer down and push past a bunch of riders on the sweetest part of the course. Nearly every rider is very polite and let me by as soon as there is an opening. I'm feeling really good now and try to put as much gap as possible before we start the 2nd lap climbs. I figure if any of the guys behind me try to make a move, it will be on the climbs with their gearbox advantage. At the top of the pebble the 2nd time, Mike and Charlie give me some water and heckle me a bit. I'm almost completely gassed but I don't see any of the competition behind me so I back it off a bit and recover.

The rest of the race goes really smooth (except for the Bee detour) and I manage to clean almost the entire 2nd lap. I couldn't have asked for a better race. I had no mechanicals, my ride was nearly mistake free and my legs felt pretty good all the way to the end. All in all it was a great day and my two boys cleaned up in their respective classes too! TVR is my kind of course, it favors tech skills over power/roadie type riders. The Beaup's are already looking forward to TVR 2013.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:42 pm 

2nd place elite, Jon Bernard finishing up the race

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lT6mHBBASjc

Post Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:58 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks for the POV video Steve!

Here's another race report, with some criticism, from Adam Dodge (novice just promoted to sport after TVR):
http://muddiaries.blogspot.com/2012/09/ ... rally.html

Post Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:13 pm 

Real Name (public): Jim
icycle wrote:

Here's another race report, with some criticism, from Adam Dodge (novice just promoted to sport after TVR):

wow
It's hard to believe there's that much strategy in the Novice division.
I guess evereybody has to have a dream
:lol:

Post Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:11 pm 

Real Name (public): WTF
jmbgdg wrote:
icycle wrote:

wow
It's hard to believe there's that much strategy in the Novice division.
I guess evereybody has to have a dream
:lol:

That was quite the race report from a 'novice' .... I'm thimkin' it took him longer to write that out than race it :lol:

Post Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:59 am 

At the rider's meeting wasn't the course direction and distances for all levels instructed? Shame on this guy for tossing volunteers under the bus for his own lack of attention to information he needs to know. Regarding the shorter course for novice... Not every novice racer races the entire series as he seems to be doing. 7 races in and I'm sure there is still newbies just getting into the sport. Exactly what the class is for. Joker gets the "Sniveling Award" in my book.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:41 am 

Real Name (public): Adam
1st of all I am aware that keeping a blog on google it is public access and anyone can read my take on races. But I have never posted my writings on any venue or team websites by choice. My link ended up here thanks to the moderator ( who clearly didn't like my take and felt the need to drop my name and my class with the link.) I do not write reports for any other racers or organizers. I write them for my little brother who is struggling with MS. I give as many details as I can so when I read them to him he can feel as if he's there. So ur damn right I'm going to discuss any startegies I have, and I will write it as long as I can for him.... The problem with the sport of cycling is that for every 1 great person you meet, there's 3 jackasses who bc they race in a higher class thy assume they are better than everyone below them. I only have 2 words and one finger for those of you....
Regarding the race volunteers.... I realize this is the team bums forum and you all were involved in the planning here and I meant no offense to anyone. If the details were stated so clearly at the. Start then why have the guys there in the first place, why not just signs? Secondly, I am getting a lot of shit bc I'm the only one who's blog complained of this... I fortunetly went the right way but many others didn't and their overall placement was ruined. That's ridiculous. Once again sorry if that is to harsh for anyone.
Lastly, I wOuld like to apologize for not giving enough credit to the overall organization of the race. I can't imagine the type of planning require to do such an event on private land. The course make up was great, and the food and prizes were organized better than most EFTA races I have done. My lack of prior praise may have been mistaken for more criticism.
I have logged reports on every race this season but to be called a joker now and to be demeaned this late in the season for being a novice is just classless....

Post Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:31 pm 

I'm pretty sure I just got called a Jackass ... which is my nickname , 'the finger' and a 'fuck you' if I read into that last posting right ....

YOU think It's ok for YOU to throw somebody under the bus publicly on your blog , but because YOU werent paying attention , that's actually called the 'blame game' ... what part of "Novices turn right at the Pebble" did YOU NOT get at the Pre-race meeting ? Did you in fact even attend the Pre-race meeting ?

Post Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:24 pm 

Wow! That got out of hand fast. Don't pay much attention to him, Adam. We call him jackass for a reason. As for the guys at the pebble, they know they f'd up for some riders, we'll try to do better next time.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:39 pm 
Site Admin

Alright, let's be civil here. Lots of assumptions going on both sides. First, yes I posted the link here but please don't read too much into it. I'm gathering every race report I can find and most of them have criticism. That's why I read them, to improve the race year over year.

Number one criticism this year under our control was the confusion at Sampsons Pebble. I take full responsibility for that as promoter for 2 reasons:
1) I only met with one of the two volunteers there to discuss the job specifics; and
2) I neglected to color code the race numbers to make it easy for them to route racers.

But to call them "idiots" was pretty harsh and I'd hope you'd expect some flak over that. To be honest, people on this forum have to have a thick skin and the comments about your blog post are very tame in comparison to some of the crap we dish out to each other.

I know that during a race, given a fork in the course like we have, it's natural to second guess the turn even if you attended and absorbed everything in the pre-race meeting. However, I disagree that it's inappropriate for Novices to not do the whole course. We've had several injuries in the section Novices skip (broken collarbone, broken teeth) so please realize that you (Adam) are not the typical Novice racer. Kudos to you for moving up to Sport, but for some Novices, this is their first ever race. To send them to the hospital or even just through a really technical downhill followed by a tough climb could affect their opinion about MTB racing for life. So we offer multiple course choices for the range of abilities that attend.

I know the attitude you speak of regarding people berating racers in lower classes. Luckily, this attitude is less pervasive at EFTA events than others you may attend. Also, this may surprise you, but none of the people that commented here about your blog are racers.

I hope this helps clear things up. I really do value criticism and thanks for your compliments above as well.

-Brett

Post Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:54 pm 

I KNOW you guys are just waiting for me to post something .... :twisted:

Post Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:07 pm 

Real Name (public): Adam
Okay this is the last of this. It did indeed get out of hand quickly, And I apologize for cluttering up a good forum with junk. You are absolutely correct that calling the volunteers idiots was out of line, my bad. Also, you guys have way more course designing expirience than I do. If the 3/4 lap was necessary for safety reasons then I should trust you knowledge and expirience w/o question in the future. I once again did not expect my report to be so public and as you said, I must expect the same amount of criticism that I'm willing to give Publicly and privately. Thanks for the positive replies, time to put the nonsense behind us...

Post Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:29 pm 

Real Name (public): Jim
holdfst18 wrote:
1st of all I am aware that keeping a blog on google it is public access and anyone can read my take on races. But I have never posted my writings on any venue or team websites by choice. My link ended up here thanks to the moderator ( who clearly didn't like my take and felt the need to drop my name and my class with the link.) I do not write reports for any other racers or organizers. I write them for my little brother who is struggling with MS. I give as many details as I can so when I read them to him he can feel as if he's there. So ur damn right I'm going to discuss any startegies I have, and I will write it as long as I can for him.... The problem with the sport of cycling is that for every 1 great person you meet, there's 3 jackasses who bc they race in a higher class thy assume they are better than everyone below them. I only have 2 words and one finger for those of you....
Regarding the race volunteers.... I realize this is the team bums forum and you all were involved in the planning here and I meant no offense to anyone. If the details were stated so clearly at the. Start then why have the guys there in the first place, why not just signs? Secondly, I am getting a lot of shit bc I'm the only one who's blog complained of this... I fortunetly went the right way but many others didn't and their overall placement was ruined. That's ridiculous. Once again sorry if that is to harsh for anyone.
Lastly, I wOuld like to apologize for not giving enough credit to the overall organization of the race. I can't imagine the type of planning require to do such an event on private land. The course make up was great, and the food and prizes were organized better than most EFTA races I have done. My lack of prior praise may have been mistaken for more criticism.
I have logged reports on every race this season but to be called a joker now and to be demeaned this late in the season for being a novice is just classless....

Looks like I'm one of the 3 jackasses
Sorry to have offended you Adam
Just stating my opinion. Haven't raced in quite a few years. Back in the day you would move up as soon possible to race against better riders.

Board index » Public Forums » Reviews » Race Reviews