Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Public Forums » Reviews » Race Reviews

Post Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:21 pm 
Site Admin

Real Name (public): Brett
Starting a thread for TVR reports. I wonder if I should write one from a promoter's perspective...might be interesting.

Rick Nelson (Elite)
http://racinrick.blogspot.com/2011/10/1 ... -wait.html

Mark Tucker (SS)
http://singlespeedslog.wordpress.com/20 ... ally-2011/

Post Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:19 pm 

Real Name (public): Matt
I pre rode the TVR course on Columbus day. A perfectly dry beautiful sunny day. I took it pretty easy on the pre ride as I meant up with a singlespeeder from New Hampshire who was doing the same thing I was. I had forgotten how challenging this course was. I did one slow lap and felt it. The course was great.
Race day was awesome. All the Bums were out there helping get the race up and running. It was motivating to see the people I ride with daily on the race day morning. I was ready and felt great. I did a short preride, maybe 1 mile. The bike felt mediocre. Chain was skipping a bit. I found a couple of gears that worked.
Before I knew it I was late for the rider's meeting. Shortly after it was time to stage my class. I was racing 30-39 expert. In staging I recognized a couple of fast rider's from previous races and a lot of fast looking racers on fast looking bikes.
The race started and I was hanging with the front of the pack. I kept pedaling hard and I started passing people. I thought "This is cool". I felt good on the climb up to the pebble. On the way down from the pebble I passed a couple more. There were some tough stream crossings and rock gardens. The course was greasy. I just tried to stay on my bike. Turns out staying on the bike is the fastest way to finish a race.
I felt great the whole first lap and most of the second lap. With about 2 miles to the finish my legs started locking up. This has never happened to me before. Its kind of a freaky feeling. I rode easier gears up hills from that point on. I knew the finish was coming soon so any chance I had I was shifting into the top chaining. The lake came up quick and I knew I was home free.
I came though the finish line cooled down a bit. I gave some high fives and pounds to the competition. We all felt the wrath of TVR and shared horror stories from the race.
I wound up getting 3rd in 30-39 Expert. This is the best I've done in Expert.
It was awesome to see Bums out there as trail marshals. Thank you for the words of encouragement. It was also great to all see the other Bums out there racing. This was a real Bums Course. You Guys all Rock. Thanks to all of the to organizers and volunteers. Other Teams/Clubs don't Act this way.
Paul S 2nd
Karen P 2nd
John B 1st
Chris B 3rd
John M 2nd
Rob P 5th
Matt K 7th

Sorry this is so long.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:07 pm 

Real Name (public): MeZ
Those are some impressive results from a bunch of bums. TVR is tough course so anyone who is on the podium deserves applause. Way to go y'all!!!

~o
-- |\,
7 |
(+)^(+)

Post Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:26 pm 

Real Name (public): Mike C duh
x2

Great showing from everyone racing AND working the race. Props to all of the BUM wives who helped out with timing, organizing, taking pics etc.

TVR is a freakin hard loop- I thought I was going to get swept from the sweep ride!

Post Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:49 pm 

Real Name (public): Steve S
I think I'm better at racing bikes then making vidoes of people racing bikes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Zm_g4uMAQc

I think I got all the BUMS at least once. Paul's the fricken star. I've got an email out to Kelly(efta) to get the footage of him muffing the first stream crossing, though.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:17 pm 

gofunburnman wrote:
I think I'm better at racing bikes then making vidoes of people racing bikes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Zm_g4uMAQc

I think I got all the BUMS at least once. Paul's the fricken star. I've got an email out to Kelly(efta) to get the footage of him muffing the first stream crossing, though.

cool!! :D

Post Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:08 pm 

Real Name (public): John B
Nice! Thanks for putting that together. Its funny how fast it seems in real life and how slow it looks on film.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:02 am 

Real Name (public): Russ S.
Great video Steve, you seem like you were having more fun filming than if you were racing.

TP,

Post Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:10 am 

I had a good time getting to cheer / heckle everyone. That said, I'd rather be racing.

I've got a ton of other footage still and some ideas for additional movies like "count the flats". Seriously, we should get a tube and C02 sponsor for next year. We can hand them out up at the pebble and the start/finish for people who have already used their spare.

We could also offer a prize to the person with the best (non flat tire) mechanical.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:20 am 
Site Admin

Love the ideas, keep em coming! :D

Post Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:11 pm 

Real Name (public): John B
Seeing that everyone else is sharing their thoughts on the TVR, guess I should too.

I was really looking forward to this race. TVR is a great course, especially with all the tech features and i feel it really suits my style of riding. The prior weekend I had a trials event and re-injured my worn out rotator cuff. On monday, it wasn't looking too promising but then a friend suggested I try Arnica (Advil was not cutting it for me). A couple of days later my shoulder was feeling much better so I decided to launch the superfly and hope for the best.

I spent a quite a bit of mental energy trying to decide which setup to run for the race. I knew the right gearing and tire selection would really make a difference. Should I go with my reliable (and heavy) Rampages to avoid flats (I suffered a torn sidewall at last years event which cost me a sure win) or my faster (and lighter) Racing Ralphs. I weighed the pros and cons of each and went with the Ralphs. I knew this was risky but felt the advantage in speed would be worth it. I used all my tricks (low pressure, riding light, hopping and careful line selection) to make sure my tires stayed out of trouble and the Ralphs actually worked out really well. Even though we had a lot of rain leading up to the event, the wet spots were limited and the remainder of the course had great traction. Next was gearing, considering my training regimen this year consisted of more pizza and beer than riding, I felt that an easier gear might be a wise choice to save my legs. In hindsight, both choices were the right ones and even though the easier gearing cost me some speed on the downhill sections of the course, my legs were thanking me the 2nd time up to the pebble.

My strategy for the start was to head out conservatively but keep in touch with the front runners. I did not do any warmups so I didn't want to blowup out of the gate. The start consisted of expert masters, seniors and I think juniors, totaling about 15 riders. I got a mid pack start and held my postion leading into the single track. Soon I was climbing up the back of a few riders and looking for an opening. As we approached the 1st of two stream crossings, chaos ensued. One guy fell completely over and a couple of other guys were floundering as well. I chose a line off to one side and went by them. As we exited the 2nd stream, I lined up 3 more riders and motored past them heading into the field. Perfect, now I could focus on the front runners up ahead. The 1st climb up to sampsons pebble was a slow grind of picking off riders. By the top I knew I was near the front of the pack. As we started to descend, there were riders and bikes lined up on both sides of the course fixing flats, holy shit, I couldn't believe how many riders had flatted already. Sucks to be them but I know how you feel. By now I was hot on the tail of the masters class leader and he was stinking up the rocky sections bigtime. This dude was messing up my flow so it was time to make my move. After I got by him, I backed it down a bit to recover before the 2nd climb up to SP. As soon as I turned off the cartroad, I met up with a pack of riders. I started the slow grind up the hill and the difference between a single speed and geared bike really showed here. I don’t recall exactly how many riders I passed on the way to the top but it was quite a few. Near the top I got passed by the first rider since we started, I stayed close as we motored over the top and shortly after that, I got by him. Cool. So far I had passed a bunch of riders and made each pass stick.

The ride from SP back to the start is the best part of the course, I continued to catch and pass riders but they were stringing out and bigger gaps were forming between riders. I was able to finally find a groove and was flowing much better thru the tech sections. I backed it down a little and was really enjoying the ride now.
As I started the 2nd lap, my legs were feeling good but I knew the 2nd climb up to SP was going to hurt. I decided that I would push a little harder leading up the 2nd climb and then go easy up the hill to save my legs. I had to dismount a couple of times but running/walking wasn’t any slower than spinning a granny gear so I didn’t lose any spots. Once I got over the top, I was feeling pretty confident that I could hold off anyone trying to push past me, especially with all the tech sections coming up. I was all alone now and had a great rhythm going, I was cleaning just about everything and was having a blast. My legs finally started complaining on the last extended climb but they came around at the top. About a mile from the field, I noticed a guy was reeling me in. Holy shit, I’m not going to give up 1st place now but he kept on closing in. I was starting to regret not going with a taller gear and it was looking like my goose was cooked. As he pulled up behind me I decided to give it my best shot and started spinning like crazy. I guess he figured out pretty quickly that I wasn’t going to pull over so he shouted out and asked what class I was in. When I told him expert he replied that he was an elite. OK, that’s cool, here ya go. So I jumped on his tail and followed him back to lake. In the flowy stuff after the field, I was able to reel him in but he dropped me once we got to the lakeshore trail so I backed it down and cruised in enjoying the last few minutes on the course.

I pulled in at 2:10 and was greeted by a pack of Bums, Beckie and the announcer on the PA stating my time and that I was 1st place expert Masters. Overall it was a great day. Thank you to all the Bums who volunteered and made TVR a first class event. Also, congratulations to the rest of the Bums who raced. That was an impressive showing.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:34 pm 

Real Name (public): Rob Paton
Fantastic race!!! You Bums are the best.

http://pedalpushingpatons.blogspot.com/ ... -2011.html

- Desmond Tutu

Post Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:03 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks all, great authors among us...I posted links to all of these reports on the TVR FB page http://www.facebook.com/treasurevalleyrally

Rob, having Novices cut ahead of sports/experts was one of our concerns. How bad was it out there? MikeT, what did you guys see at the pebble for this issue?

Post Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:35 am 

Real Name (public): Rob Paton
icycle wrote:
Rob, having Novices cut ahead of sports/experts was one of our concerns. How bad was it out there? MikeT, what did you guys see at the pebble for this issue?

As I was writing, I realized that this had come up pre-race, but I hadn't remembered the course well enough to recognize what it really meant. All in all, it wasn't horrendous, but there were probably 20 - 25 people I found myself having to pass between the Pebble and the starting area. Most were pretty good to move over, but not all. Some waited until they were unclipped in a rock garden and there was no go around. I probably lost a minute or two off my time in the end. Not a big deal. And the rest of my wave presumably faced the same issue, so it's not like it was a disadvantage just to me. I can't see as sending the Novices off first would fix it. Maybe a different starting time all together for the Novices. I don't know.

- Desmond Tutu

Post Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:45 am 
Site Admin

Bunch more race reports:

Paul Simoes (Elite):
http://www.bikeman.com/team-bikeman/rac ... rally-2011

Chris Beriau (Expert):
http://www.bikeman.com/team-bikeman/rac ... alley-2011

Kevin Orlowski (SS):
http://manarea.blogspot.com/2011/10/tre ... ecs-8.html

Shaun Pinney (SS):
http://www.shaunpinney.org/bid/75688/20 ... ort-EFTA-8

Karen Potter (Elite) short status:
http://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?s ... 1498873784

Post Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:51 am 
Site Admin

polar bear paton wrote:
Maybe a different starting time all together for the Novices. I don't know.

I think that's the key...start the Novices such that they'll be getting to the pebble about the same time as the rear of the pack is getting there. The fastest novices will need to do some passing, but I think that'd work out best for everyone. It's tricky b/c this year the sports went off only 3 min before the novices, and that's the two most likely to be in contention. If we started novices something like 45m after sport, then it might solve the problem and get the novices to finish more in line with the rest of the field so they won't be sitting around waiting for awards as long.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:27 am 

icycle wrote:
polar bear paton wrote:
Maybe a different starting time all together for the Novices. I don't know.

If we started novices something like 45m after sport, then it might solve the problem and get the novices to finish more in line with the rest of the field so they won't be sitting around waiting for awards as long.

The elites and experts would be lapping them before they got to the pebble. Your best bet is to start the novices at 10:00 before the first timers. You have to figure out how to have them finishing while you stage the 11:00 race but it should be doable. There were only 2 Novices over 2 hrs so they shouldn't really impact anyone in the 11:00 race.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:09 pm 

Real Name (public): MeZ
A couple of side notes: one of the kids who won a bike in the Pedal it Forward program (he won the red bike he said) showed up and did the kids race and dropped off a thank you note. The cool part was that his pedal it forward contribution was to give his old bike to a friend who was sharing one bike with his two siblings. Neat
Also the TVR shirts were a big hit as there were numerous requests to purchase one. Good way to spread the word.

~o
-- |\,
7 |
(+)^(+)

Post Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:25 pm 

Mtbzzz wrote:
A couple of side notes: one of the kids who won a bike in the Pedal it Forward program (he won the red bike he said) showed up and did the kids race and dropped off a thank you note. The cool part was that his pedal it forward contribution was to give his old bike to a friend who was sharing one bike with his two siblings. Neat
Also the TVR shirts were a big hit as there were numerous requests to purchase one. Good way to spread the word.

Thanks Laura. I posted about the lucky rider on the Face Book site. Would love to see more Bums get behind it by "liking" it though. I know you're out there. Collin (my son) gave his bike to Trisha Sabourin and Mike L gave his Bike to Collin. Waiting for pictures to upload but we still need some more giveaways to keep the idea current. If you have anything you don't need anymore, post it. :) Next year I'd like to fly a banner at the race and request that this donation effort becomes a sponsor of the TVR.

Nice color choice on the shirt Brett. They look sharp. Although I couldn't make the reschedule, at least I feel like my artist crayons were there in spirit.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:44 pm 
Site Admin

Scott Nelson wrote:
Next year I'd like to fly a banner at the race and request that this donation effort becomes a sponsor of the TVR.

Sure, we can integrate it in. Let me know what you had in mind.

But I'll need someone else talking to the group about that since I lost my voice yelling like a trailer park redneck in a wife beater and sounded like a prepubescent youth. FWIW, the PA system I was promised arrived after 11am...

Quote:
Nice color choice on the shirt Brett. They look sharp. Although I couldn't make the reschedule, at least I feel like my artist crayons were there in spirit.

Thanks and no worries about not being there, we had a lot of help (Thank you Bums!). Scott, I've got your shirt set aside here, see you on a ride soon?

Board index » Public Forums » Reviews » Race Reviews