Post Posted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:18 pm 

Real Name (public): Rob Paton
Great time!!!

http://pedalpushingpatons.blogspot.com/ ... -2013.html

- Desmond Tutu

Post subject: Re: TVR 2013 Race Report
 Post Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:57 am 

Real Name (public): John B
Nice recap Rob. BTW, WTF are hologram people?

Post Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:48 am 

Real Name (public): Rob Paton
You know, like when they have a 3D of a person as a hologram.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Hologram

I figure they must be able to put them wherever they like. But I'm guessing you know better than me.

- Desmond Tutu

Post Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:55 pm 

Real Name (public): Jim
polar bear paton wrote:

Nice report as usual Rob

8th place sounds a lot better than last finisher :lol:

Had a good time. Like being at the races, just don't seem to be able to "race" anymore. :x

Last edited by jmbgdg on Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:52 pm 

Real Name (public): John B
The Bopes race recap:

Yesterday, the Bopes headed to Treasure valley scout reservation in Rutland, MA for the penultimate round of the Eastern Fat Tires Assoc (EFTA) Mountain bike racing series. Known as TVR, this course offers some of the best MTB racing terrain in New England with several long climbs, technical rock gardens and fast, fun trails along a beautiful lake. Brett Russ and the Team Bums crew do a great job adding new trails every year and the event is well organized. Overall, a great race experience for sure.

Jack was the first to line up in the first timers class. Jack is a talented rider but he shows little interest in racing so when I asked him about this years race, he politely declined. I threw his bike in the truck hoping I could talk him into it once we arrived. I didn’t get far on the ride but once we arrived he changed his mind and actually got very focused when preparing for the race (not something you see from Jack very often). Game on! Jack lined up and jumped out front off the start. He managed to hold the lead thru the entire race in spite of falling backwards into the stream when climbing out on the far bank (wish I could have seen that). He pulled into the finish line muddy and wet but all smiles. He was excited to get the win. Its nice to see your kids step outside their comfort zone and discover that things can be more fun than they look when you give it your all. Hopefully we can build on this.
Next was Max in the Big Boys race. This would be his 1st time running the real TVR course but he has shown he is ready this year. The Jr class had some fast kids so he was going to need his best ride. He jumped out to his usual holeshot and lead into the woods. The boy in 2nd place, Scott Johannen, was tailing him and managed to push past him some time later. As Max described, Scott crashed soon after and Max pushed past for the lead. This crash/pass/pass back process continued multiple times during the entire race according to Max. Max managed to lead onthe final leg by the lake and with Scott bearing down coming out to the final cart road, Max put in a strong sprint and held off Scott by a mere 3 seconds! Way to go Max! With the win, Max clinched the EFTA Jr class championship! I hope he puts some meat on his bones this winter because the Cat 2 class will really test those skinny little 75lb legs!

As for me, TVR is the race I really look forward to. It’s the type of course that rewards riders with strong climbing legs and advanced technical bike handling skills which I consider two of my strong points. Unfortunately, I had a bad wreck on my MTB 3.5 weeks ago so my recent training has been rest and rehab. I have been nursing a cracked rib, mild shoulder separation/torn ligament and hand injury (re-aggravated a fracture which was never repaired) so my race prep went from full tilt race to points salvage mode. With only two races left, I didn’t want see my points lead slip away after a whole season of busting my ass. Needless to say, my outlook for this race sure was different than I had hoped for but hey, that’s part of the game. One note about the Cat 1 Masters class, anyone who thinks over 50 MTB riders are slowing down is in fora surprise if they ever line up with them. These guys are cagey, experienced veterans with lots of speed and fitness. Over the course of this season,the masters class has produced many top finishes among all the Cat 1 classes,even a few overalls. Racing these guys is intense to say the least.

So here we go and I’m saying to myself “don’t do anything stupid and wreck yourself for the rest of the season” which probably lasted about 30 seconds into the race. Isettled in behind the guy who holds 2nd place in the points standing and decided to try and ride his wheel. Once we hit the 1st cartroad climb, the pace was holding me back a bit so motored past him and Spungie and into 2nd place. The leader was motoring away and it was frustrating see him disappear but I was going to let the race come to me and not push beyond what I considered a safe pace. A mile or so later I tried to roll a dropoff that required far more commitment than I was will to give and endoed. Good thing my tuck and roll was on soft dirt so no biggie fortunately. Spungie showed up just as I got going and settled in behind me. I offered to let him by several times but he would politely decline stating that he didn’t want to blow up this early in the race(or something like that). We climbed together up to the pebble and hit the downhill with gusto. Soon my hands were getting numb from holding too tight (yes, self preservation can have you overreacting at times) so I had to back it down and concentrate on the cherry lines with Spungie breathing down my neck. Thru one particularly nasty rock garden I managed to keep it on two wheels while it ate up Spungies fully rigid ass. Imagine a 50+ dude riding a fully rigid bike on that course, yeah, that’s Spungie madness for you!

Next was the ugly climb but it didn’t feel that bad this year. Gears will have that effect on you when all you know is SS’ing that MFer of a climb. So now I’m all alone with an occasional pass and really finding my groove. I think I cleaned the entire course after the pebble but it helps when you have a little extra time to pickyour lines. I saw team mate Rich Loring fixing a flat which has got to be the 100th time this year for the poor bastard. Someone needs to take this guy under their wing and help him down the path to tubeless salvation. He is a fast rider who gets derailed by flats way too often (like every race). Maybe Bob Stine can help him with a flat clinic LOL!

SO now I’m in no mans land (so I think), just pedaling along and having a great time. On the 2nd MFer climb up to the pebble, I was thanking the inventor of gears. What a difference gears makes on your MTB stress level. I get to the top and stop to say hi to the Bums and have a cold drink (which I have never done in all my racing days) and who is right behind me! Spungie! I’m like WTF! I thought you were long gone! He says lets go get some podiums and I mumble WTF again cause I’m thinking I just blew my chances for 2nd. Sooff we go and I’m now debating if its time to go full tilt race mode. Most of the remaining miles are full blown single track trails peppered with rock gardens and sweet sweepers so I crank it up a notch and hope it’s enough to hold onto 2nd. A few checks back and I’m not seeing Spungie but he already snuck up once so I keep it cranked to the finish and hold on. The last push had me pretty gassed at the end so I was glad to see the finish line.

With 2nd place, I clinched the Cat 1 Masters overall for the series which was a nice way to cap off the day. Tyler Monroe lead wire to wire and finished some 3 min ahead of me, Spungie rigid assed his way to 3rd overall with a strong ride. He was super pumped to be on the podium. Nice job to all the Masters out there, this is not a sport for the weak or feeble minded, that’s for certain!

Big shoutouts to NBX bikes, Radsport/Syntace and TeamBums. Its been a great 1st year race season and I hope the Bopes are going to many more in the future.

Board index » Public Forums » Reviews » Race Reviews