Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Public Forums » Public Discussion

Post subject: Cub scout bike event
 Post Posted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:08 pm 

Real Name (public): Steve
All -

I am organizing a basic bicycle safety/maintenance/skills event for our cub scout pack in Brookfield. Our Pack leader is very active in the Mohegan Council scouting program. With your association with the Treasure Valley event and Mohegan Council Cub Scouts, we thought your group could be a big benefit. We were wondering if you would be willing to help support the event?

We intend to pass the boys through different stations with various activities. Our ideas for utilizing a group such as yours would be to lead a class in basic bicycle maintenance and repair (piling, tightening, safety checks, tube repair...). We would also be interested in a demonstration, if you guys do jumps, tricks, or other things that make the kids go WOW! get them excited about biking. Our boys will range in age from about 6 to 12.

The event is planned for Sunday April 13, for about 3 hours, 1:30 to 4:30 at Tantasqua High School. We will be doing our stations for about 1.5 to 2 hours. Followed by a short group ride in the parking areas.

Please let me know if you are interested.
Thank you

Post subject: Re: Cub scout bike event
 Post Posted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:32 pm 
Site Admin

Real Name (public): Brett
Hi Steve,
I'm the guy behind the Mohegan Council relationship, so I'll go first :) First, thanks for thinking of us. It's great to know the club is respected for its philanthropy. Personally, I'm committed that day so I won't be there. As you probably know, Team Bums gives back a lot already, esp. to the Scouts, but here's my advice. We've got members volunteering for the (new this year) summer MTB camp week at Treasure Valley as well as the 7th annual Treasure Valley Rally MTB race on May 10, both of which require a ton of volunteer time. As part of the summer MTB camp, Bicycle Concepts in Sturbridge, MA is doing the bike maintenance training sessions, you might see if they're able to send someone out. There are also a number of cycling merit badge councilors in the Council who might be available. There may be people here who are available that day too, but check around to other sources as well just in case. Finally, if you are interested in checking out the race loop trails at Treasure Valley, stop by the race and sign up.
Thanks,
Brett

Post subject: Re: Cub scout bike event
 Post Posted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:29 pm 

Real Name (public): Steve
    Brett -

Thank you for your reply. I certainly understand the time commitment involved in your volunteer efforts and would like to thank you for your involvement with Scouting.

Thank you for the tips. I really appreciate it. I will certainly use your suggestions.

Good luck with the race. I am mostly a want-to-be rider that would love to take part in the race. Not sure I will be able to this year. Fingers crossed.

Thanks again for your assistance. Great site by the way!
    Steve

Board index » Public Forums » Public Discussion