Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Public Forums » Reviews » Gear Reviews

Post subject: Wolf Tooth 30t chainring
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:33 am 

I don't like front derailleurs and all the extra junk on my bikes but, when running a 32t chainring, you just sometimes need one gear lower. I noticed that Wolf Tooth Components makes a 30t chainring that fits a 104 BCD so I ordered one. The part appeared in my mail box in a couple of days and I gave it a quick look before mounting. The ring is made with spacers attached that offset it to the inside. This is done to allow the outer chain plates to clear the crank spyder but it also results in a better chain line.
I didn't really trust the chain retention claim so I also installed a Shimano SLX clutch type rear derailleur. I'm not using any other chain guide and after several rides on the outback loop I can honestly say that the chain never once left the ring and the lower gearing let me use the middle cogs on the 10 speed rear cassette more than I did with the 32t chainring. This part isn't cheap but if you price the other 1x options available it is a bargain!

Post Posted: Tue May 24, 2016 11:00 pm 

Real Name (public): Steve
Thanks for the recommendation late this week or early next week i order my 11 speed xt system I already have a 10 speed xt crankset arriving thursday and i've def been thinking of ditching my front mech entirely been looking at the wolftooth rings and race face narrow/wide specify so I dont need to run a chain device

Board index » Public Forums » Reviews » Gear Reviews