Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Public Forums » Reviews » Mountain Bike Reviews

Post subject: Redline monocog 29er
 Post Posted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:54 pm 

I have been wanting to try a 29er for awhile so when I heard that a shop in Framingham was selling complete bikes for $280 I bought one. The bike has a rigid fork and is a single speed so this added to the "different" feeling of the bike. I took the bike on the first ride
last night at ribbon candy and goat hill. Aside from one pitch on the climb up goat hill ,where I had to walk ,the bike worked great! The big wheels do really roll over stuff better that 26 in wheels and the one speed concept encourages a faster pace on the uphills compared to a geared bike where "granny" is a irresistable option. I did upgrade from the standard v brakes to a set of discs that I had in the parts bin and I changed the gearing from 32/20 to a more hill and old knee friendly 32/26. I gotta say that this bike made familiar trails seem like a totally different and fun experience. If you want to get into the 29er scene this is viable way that won't break the bank.

Post subject: Re: Redline monocog 29er
 Post Posted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:37 pm 

Real Name (public): Steve S
I have to agree. Not sure if it's the SS or the full ridgid, but this makes old trails seem new again. I'm still running the tektro rim breaks and was reminded this past weekend just how much they suck when its wet and cold. With any luck they'll break soon and I can put on some hydraulic disk. I also went the other direction and switched to a 32x18 last weekend. I can't make all the climbs right now, but I'm suffering more, so that's good.

I'm really looking forward to the bigger tires/wheels in the snow this year. It was my main reason for buying a 29er SS.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:13 pm 

Real Name (public): Mike C duh
How do you guys like the big wheels in the tight stuff? It seems to me that they would feel kinda clunky at places like Rayburn or the TT loop in Whitinsville....

Post Posted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:58 pm 

Real Name (public): John B
The key to making a 29er work/excel on our trails includes:

1. Lightweight wheelset and tires, these help acceleration and make a huge difference for SS'ing.
2. Geometry designed for 29ers, there has been a lot of developments with custom offsets to get them to carve the twisties. Right now, Gary Fisher has been the leader in this department.

My first 2 29ers were tanks, my 08 GF Rig has much tighter handling and does real well in everything except the super tight stuff. Only then can you feel the extra wheel dia slow your turning down a bit. Acceleration suffers there too. When the trail opens up its a different story. I wish I was taller so I could fit a good full susp 29er.

I'm looking into a full susp 650B as an alternative......I love big wheels.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:54 am 

Real Name (public): Steve S
Mike C wrote:
How do you guys like the big wheels in the tight stuff? It seems to me that they would feel kinda clunky at places like Rayburn or the TT loop in Whitinsville....

My other bike is an Orbea Lanza 29er and I find it to be quite snappy in the tight stuff, slow or fast. Of course, my skills suck so I’m probably not pushing this bike to its limits. I have had a couple of zen moments on twisty down hills in races where the bike just flowed like water. In short, the cornering abilities of this bike have not disappointed me.

Whatever these bikes might lack in cornering, which really isn’t much anymore, they make up for it everywhere else. I hemmed and hawed for quite a bit before pulling the trigger on my 29er. Now, I can’t imagine going back to tiny wheels.

My only other advice for a 29er is if you are stuck in between two sizes, choose the smaller one. That and make sure you know how you plan on using the bike. In order to make them snappy the rear wheel gets pulled in very tight causing clearance issues on some frames. My Orbea can’t take anything larger than a 2.1 in back. I’m basically a cross country rider so I don’t have any problems with this. It’s just something to be aware of.

Board index » Public Forums » Reviews » Mountain Bike Reviews