Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Public Forums » Reviews » Trail Reviews

Post subject: Rayburn
 Post Posted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:30 pm 

RAYBURN
The Rayburn Drive trails are accesible by parking under the Power Lines on Rayburn Drive (Millbury) or from the gate entering the Martha Deering Estate property off of Riverlan St. (Millbury).
These trails are mostly made up of twisty single track, with the occasional powerline or cart path used to connect sections.
Trail maintenance and trail development is always ongoing but certain sections are starting to show wear and tear from ATV's and normal errosion. Another new home development is currently underway and it's yet to be seen how much of the main lower loop will be effected by this progess. That said, with over 15 miles of trails PLUS another 6-8 that are "out and back" into the Grafton Land Trust area... a good day can be had by anyone who follows the ribboned trail or ventures out on their own.
I would not suggest Rayburn as a good place for true beginners. Very few places are flat, sans rocks/roots or a relaxed cruising area. That said, this is not an EXTREEMLY tech ride, a big hill climb area or a freerider's area either. Although the occasional rock drop and ramp can be found, this is basically just a good old fashioned New England XC riding area designed to work you hard, keep you honest and hopefully give you some fun.

A 9 on the CRANK chart for this location.

Post subject: Re: Rayburn
 Post Posted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:25 am 

The entire Rayburn network of trails have been cleaned for 08 thanks to some freaking awesome helpers (TP, Mike, Rick, Christopher, and Bryan) . We still seem to running into leaf removing issues with some locals and possibly the EPO though. In the past we've done some research on trail raking once a year vs. never touching the trails at all. If someone has those old trail steward discussions in thier email boxes, it might be nice to see them posted under a "trail work guidelines" thread on this Forum.

Thanks again and happy riding until the Snow is over your hubs.

Last edited by Scott Nelson on Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:16 am 

Seems like the trail teams are in full action this time of year. I skipped the Pisgah ride Sunday morning so I could complete a Rayburn twisty started last weekend. Already VERY rideable and looking for some wheels to pack it in. Think it'll be named the F2 Tornado Trail. Later in the afternoon I went back out to remove a large blowdown with the chainsaw and low and behold-- someone had removed it already. Thank you to whomever did that!!! The neat thing about that surprise was I then had time to add another new downhill trail that I had been looking at for the last few seasons. The climb up is as painless as I could make it but the rip down should floooowwww and goooo pretty good! Hopeful to look at one more new section before the snow flies too.

Anyhoo--- thank you again to all the leaf blowers, trail workers and blow down removers. Sweet riding this fall!

Post Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:35 pm 

Real Name (public): Russ S.
I'll keep cutting blowdowns, if you keep making DOWNHILLS. :D

Board index » Public Forums » Reviews » Trail Reviews